Is kitty making you sneeze?

In the United States, 10% of the population has pet allergies. The most common pet to cause an allergic reaction is the cat. Contrary to popular belief, it is not due to the cat’s hair or fur. There are proteins in a cat’s saliva, urine and dander (dried skin flakes) that trigger allergic reactions. We all know what meticulous self-groomers cats are. At any time, all three of the proteins can be on a cat’s tongue.

People who have allergies have overly sensitive immune systems. Their bodies think that harmless things like cat dander or pollen are invaders in their bodies. They attack these invaders as they might attack a bacteria or virus. The result is that symptoms, which are side-effects of this attack, begin to appear. These symptoms include such things as; coughing, sneezing, wheezing, rash, stuffy nose, itchy eyes, and runny nose, especially if a cat has licked or bitten the person. In addition, if your cat is an outside cat, it can bring in other allergens such as mold, pollen and other environmental triggers. These symptoms can occur within minutes or hours of exposure.

There is no way to prevent an allergic reaction. Some research has shown that exposure to pets at an early age may reduce the risk of developing pet allergies later on in life. You can reduce the amount of allergens on your cat through frequent bathing. Brushing your cat regularly will reduce the amount of loose fur (and attached saliva) in the air. Also, it may help to feed your cat a diet that is high in Omega 3 fatty acids. These acids help to keep the cat’s fur healthy and minimize dander.

Are there any cats that do not cause allergies? Some people feel that the “hairless” Sphinx will eliminate the possibility of allergies. However, since the allergy can be triggered by cat urine, saliva and dander, we know this may not be true. As cute as they are, if kitty is making you sneeze, think about getting a different pet.

2 Responses to Is kitty making you sneeze?

  1. Josh says:

    A cat with FIV will live over 15 years, the most important thing to do is to feed a GOOD food to keep up what’s left of their inumme system.Also treat the problems as they arise. Which are runny eyes, dry coat and/or mouth problems.Having Lysine on hand for the runny eyes is a good idea. Most FIV cats have the herpes simplex virus and being on 250 500mg of lysine (on their food) a day for a week can clear up the runnynes within a few days. I’ve heard of people using Transfer Factor, as a supplement, to help the overall health as well. But mostly it’s the good food that’s needed. BTW there are two very good FIV cat lists on Yahoogroups, come on over and join. The owners there all have FIV cats in every stage of the disease. Most cats stay asymptomatic most of their lives.

    • Riezel says:

      My cat was allergic to fleas and had the same symptoms. I would take your cat to the vet. But i understand in hard times you may not have money, so i’ll give you some advice if you can’t go to the vet. Get advantage, it will kill the fleas fast. Wait a couple weeks, is the scabs healing up? then it was probably the fleas, if not, change her food, scabs can also be from a food allergy, if you change her food and it clears up you know that’s what it is Mange is pretty bad, you should take the kitty to the vet if possible, because like said before it can be passed to people and other pets. Again i’m only giving this advice in case you are in a situation where you can’t take the kitty to the vet right now, but you need to as soon as you can.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *