Monthly Archives: December 2013

Pet Safety At Christmas

The holidays are here and we love to shower our pets with love and gifts to show how much we care. Our wish to you is for a safe and healthy environment for you and your pets. With that in mind, there are some precautions we should take when we celebrate with decorations and good cheer. The following are some safety tips to keep your pet happy and healthy this holiday season.


* Christmas tree  – Be sure to place your tree in a corner, anchored so it won’t fall on an excited pet. Keep in mind that the water in the stand can contain pesticides and bacteria, so keep your cat or dog from drinking it. If your tree is cut low to the ground, your pet won’t be able to get under it and take a drink. Remember to sweep up fallen needles. These can become lodged in your pet’s paws and eating them can cause intestinal punctures.

*Christmas lights – Be sure to keep lights away from the bottom-most branches. Use a cord container so your pet does not try to chew on the wires and become shocked. Always unplug the tree when you will not be home.

* Ornaments – Try to use unbreakable ornaments, especially near the bottom of the tree. A broken glass ornament splinters into shards and can cause a choking hazard, cuts, and intestinal distress.

* Tinsel – This lovely decoration is a big attraction to cats who love to bat at the shiny strands. Dogs or cats who eat the tinsel can block their intestines and cause severe vomiting. It is best to skip the tinsel.

* Holiday plants – Holly, mistletoe, poinsettia, amarylis and lilies should not be put within your pet’s reach.  The leaves, berries or sap from these are poisonous to your pet.

* Edible decorations – Many people string cranberries or popcorn. These are attractive to dogs and may result in intestinal upset if consumed. It is best not to use them for decorations.

* Gift wrap – Wrapping paper and ribbons can be fun for a pet to play with. Yet ingesting them can cause intestinal blockage. Be sure to dispose of used wrappings once those holiday gifts are opened.

* Chocolate – We often give chocolate as a gift. Dogs can sniff this right through the wrapping paper and can tear open a box to get at the treat. We all know chocolate can be lethal to pets. The higher the cocoa content, the more toxic the chocolate.

* Candy – some candy and most gum is sweetened with xylitol. This is also toxic to a pet so keep it out of reach.

* People food – Try to avoid giving your pet leftover food. Bones, high fat-content or spicy foods can lead to pancreatitis, pain and vomiting. Stick to your pet’s veterinarian approved kibble or canned food.

* Fireplaces  and Candles – Be sure to keep the fireplace screened in and candles up high. Candles can easily be knocked over by a wagging tail or leaping kitty.

* Adult beverages – Eggnog and sweet drinks can entice a pet to taste them. They cause nausea and can be lethal. Keep these drinks out of reach.

* Tablecloths and runners – Keep these from hanging too low to the floor. Dogs may tug at them and end up pulling the contents of the table upon himself. This is also how a dog can obtain no-no foods and candies.
With this lengthy but pet friendly list, you can do your best to insure that the most joyful time of the year stays that way for you and your pets. Try to stick to your routines of walking and playtimes so your pet feels comfortable and relaxed, in spite of the hustle and bustle that the holidays bring.

Wishing you all the best at this special time of year. Peace, hope and love to all from your Tails Untold friends!