I heard it through the grapevine!

Be wary of what you give your dog for a treat! According to Dr. Patty Khuly of PET MD, grapes and raisins are poisonous to dogs.  Although the toxic element has yet to be identified, dogs who eat grapes or raisins may die of acute kidney failure if they ingest too many.

It does not always happen. However, that does not mean grapes are okay for some dogs. It is not worth risking your dog’s health to watching him chase one across the floor and gulp it down!

There are many other food items that are known to be toxic to both dogs and cats.  Onions and garlic contain sulfoxides and disulfides which can damage red blood cells and cause anemia. Cats are more susceptible than dogs.  Even baby foods, which one might consider as innocuous, may contain onion powder.

We all know that chocolate is toxic to dogs, especially the darker chocolates. If your dog should ingest these, call your vet immediately. He may prescribe a quick remedy of peroxide and water to induce vomiting. Dogs are very attracted to the scent of chocolate, so be careful where you put that Valentine’s box of candy!

We love our pets and don’t want to see them come to any harm! You heard it through the Tales Untold grapevine!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *